Scripting the Conference
Good questions to ask the student in a student conference:
1. How can I help you?
2. What is the purpose of your essay?
3. Which sections are stronger or weaker?
4. Who is your audience?
5. What would you like to change?
6. What is the key line or passage?
Tips for Student Conferences
1. Don’t re-write the student’s essay for them. They must be the author of their own essay.
Glenn, Cheryl, and Melissa A. Goldthwaite. The St. Martin’s Guide to Teaching Writing. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2008.